Saturday, March 27, 2010

eBay changes; a good thing?

eBay's March Newsletter was full of cool tips for sellers and helpful explanations of the new fee structure and other changes.

Although the new fee structure has caused me to rethink my business model, I think it will be a good thing in the long run for eBay and its sellers. Personally, I have closed my store because I don't have the volume or high-priced sales that would justify keeping it open even at the lowest level.

Instead, I am going to focus on using the auction format to sell items which is "Free unless it sells" for up to 100 items.


But one announcement had escaped my notice until now and it will have huge implications for me:
  1. Only domestic DSRs count. Since only DSRs on your transactions with U.S. buyers count on eBay.com, you can sell globally without worrying about customs or international delivery affecting your eligibility for Top-rated seller or PowerSeller status.
  1. More control over ship-to locations. Specify countries you don't want to ship to quickly and easily. Exclude countries you don't want to ship to right in the listing, or just change your shipping preference in My eBay 
This means I can offer my auctions worldwide again.  I have not been able to do this for about two years without fear of DSR damage. This could make a huge difference in my sales and I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. 

eBay has been a lot of fun for me these past few years and it will only get better I'm sure! 

No comments: