Friday, August 14, 2009

Next stop: The Mediterranean


As I sit here breakfasting on oatmeal, walnuts and blueberries, it occurs to me that the Mediterranean Diet might be just my style. More and more I find myself really enjoying the taste and crunch of salad, the tangy sweetness of fruit. And when I am really tuned in to my taste buds, I don't really care that much for the taste of most meat. Once in a while a really I enjoy a small fillet Mignon, but even the smallest fillet is more than I want in one meal.

There was a time when the Atkins Diet ruled my eating habits and it worked well for me until I hit the later part of middle age. I had 2-3 eggs every morning and meat with breakfast on weekends. Toast was forbidden as well as biscuits, cookies and cake and I really didn't like the idea that fruit, potatoes and rice had to be limited. But, I could manage. Maybe I just got my fill of meat!

So, I find myself thinking about all the delicious fruit, nuts, beans and vegetables I love and oooooh great quantities of warm seven-grain breads. Yogurt is okay, but not milk and I'm sure ice cream is out of the question. How about chocolate? And coffee! I must have my iced coffee.

This will require some study and thinking and I welcome any suggested web sites that are helpful along these lines.

No comments: