Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wake up call

If you grew up in the 1950s like I did, seeing a sight like this might give you a jolt back to the past.

Was your first impulse "Duck and cover" as we were taught in school?

We grew up in the shadow of the cold war where kids said to each other "IF I grow up, I'm gonna' be (insert fireman, ballet dancer, etc.) Not WHEN I grow up, but IF. What a specter to grow up with.

We managed to get through that time, even witnessing Khrushchev banging his shoe on the table of the United Nation threatening "We will bury you!" And it instilled in us a sense of pride in being Americans and being able to stay steady and strong in spite of fear.

We held onto our faith in the American way and we fought for other countries who were trying to gain independence from tyranny. Still, we must always keep our edge and remember that the threat is as real today as it was then.  Say "Thank you!" to the next soldier you see. Don't forget!

1 comment:

Danna Crawford said...

I didn't grow up during that time but I had that kind of feeling when I saw the photo! WOW it was amazing....