Friday, April 8, 2011

Say hello to my little green friend

Green anoles are native to Florida and dwell in trees and shrubs. Unfortunately, about the time Castro took control of Cuba, their cousins, the brown anole hopped a ride with incoming Cuban refugees and pushed the smaller greenies out by competing for their main food source: insects. The only advantage the green anoles have is their preference for higher ground.

Having grown up with the appealing little greenies, I have a soft spot in my heart for them and I was thrilled to spot this one inside our screened porch.
I'm hoping for a family of them soon.

1 comment:

Kent said...

I just wrote a story and posted a video about the Green Anole. They are amazing creatures. Thanks for your article. http://thetop7.net/2011/08/11/the-green-anole-best-pet-ever/